Post by Chaudhry on Mar 19, 2013 7:24:23 GMT -5
Getting perspectives on the usefulness of Alexa rank can be a case of different strokes for different folks.
Depending on whom you ask, Alexa rank is either the best or worst thing to happen to the internet.
Those who have a low rank love it and those who have a high rank call for it to be disregarded.
That brings us to the pre-occupation of this post – how to lower your Alexa traffic rank, but first,
Understanding How Alexa Ranks Sites
According to Alexa, “the rank of a site reflects both the number of users who visit that site as well as the number of pages on the site viewed by those users”
If that is the case, why is the ranking not proportionate to a website’s traffic and page views as we established in the onset?
Another Alexa document tells us that the Alexa rank is made possible by the participation of the Alexa Toolbar Community.
Each member who uses the toolbar contributes valuable data back to the community about the web, how it is used pages visited and so on.
Using this data, Alexa can provide information about Related Links, Traffic Rankings and Keywords. While there may be more to the Alexa rank, Alexa has made this much clear: without their toolbar, the rank would be impossible.
It goes without saying that to lower your Alexa traffic rank you would need more web traffic, but as the above references show, what you actually need is specialized traffic – traffic from visitors who have Alexa Toolbar installed.
But is there any point trying to improve your Alexa rank, given the fact that it does not prove anything?
Why Alexa Rank Still Matters
Despite their irregular figures, having a high Alexa rank is still important for the following reasons:
- Attract Paying Advertisers: Despite the imperfect numbers, advertisers still use Alexa rank to evaluate a sites traffic potential. Advertisers don’t mind that the numbers are not perfect, so neither should you.
- Access to CPA Networks: Most CPA networks require a minimum Alexa rank to be allowed to share in their offers. Improving your Alexa rank will give you access to high converting CPA offers which can lead to more income from your blog.
- Attract JV Partners: Joint venture prospects use Alexa rank to weigh the credibility of potential prospects. So if you are interested in going into joint venture alliances in the future, it may be in your best interest to lower your Alexa rank.
- A Low Rank Signals Quality: To most internet users, a lower Alexa rank means higher quality and traffic. We all know that’s not true, but there is something to it. Having a site with a low Alexa rank means that you have frequently updated content that attracts readers to come back, so to a large extent the rank is a self-fulfilling prophesy.
Having established that it is worthwhile to have a low Alexa rank, we can now address the question of how we can lower your Alexa rank.
How To Lower Your Alexa Traffic Rank
- Install Alexa Toolbar: Alexa’s traffic rank can be boosted by installing theAlexa Toolbar or using the Search Status extension for Firefox and setting your web page as your home page. So if you have not already done so, I would suggest you download and install the toolbar.
- Ask your Readers to Install Alexa Toolbar: If a large number of your site visitors do not have the toolbar installed, their visits are lost and do not impact on your rank at all.Asking them to install the Alexa toolbar would be mutually beneficial as it can help reduce the rank of all the blogs in the community as a result of the cross traffic nature of blogs.
- Ask Your Readers to Review Your Blog: While it may be difficult to prove since Alexa has not ‘shown-all’, there is a strong correlation between a high Alexa and the number of reviews a site has received. Do you have any reviews?
Shameless Plug: If you leave a review for my blog on Alexa, you can be sure I will return the favor if you notify me using my blog’s contact form. Please ensure you include your name and the url of your site.
- Be Active in Webmaster Forums: Have you noticed that tech related websites tend to have very low Alexa ranks?The reason is that most tech savvy persons have installed the Alexa toolbar already.If you are in a niche that may interest webmasters, you can get significant drops in your Alexa rank by being active in webmaster forums and referring traffic back to your site using your signature link.If you are in a non-tech niche, you can buy advertising from webmaster related websites and forums. The referral traffic will equally lower your Alexa rank.
Lets Play The Game: If you leave a review for my blog on Alexa, I will leave one for you too! Just drop your name and site in the contact page.
Do you have other tips on how to reduce your Alexa rank? Share them in the comments. I would be privileged to learn from you.